Allowing For Different Points of View and Perspectives

     One way of culturally responsive teaching is really listening to your students. It is important to understand that based on their life experiences, every student has a different way of looking at life. Allowing students to share their perspectives opens up the classroom, students, and teachers to be more welcoming and understanding of each other. This could be implemented by making projects based on things, experiences, objects, and more that are valued to the students. 

    I can't remember what the video was, but in my Art Education Foundations class, we watched a video about a teacher who did a lesson on Nick Cave's sound suits. In her lesson, the teacher allowed students to make their own sound suits with any objects, including those of meaning to the student. The project ended up lasting nine weeks because the students enjoyed it so much, and at the end, they got to share with the class what their sound suit meant to them. I think this was a great example of allowing students to put their own perspectives into the project. (I'm still trying to find this video, and emailed my old professor to see if she still has it)

    Perspectives have a big impact on art. They are something that can dramatically change how you express yourself and also how you reach your viewer. I know in my art, my life experiences are what I focus on, and I want to create a classroom where my students can do the same.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

References

Teaching a Wide Range of Artists

Overview of Culturally Responsive Teaching